14 Mai, 2006

at least a short update

I know I have been lazy updating this, but it's been a bit of a strange week work wise. I have been slightly more motivated, but at the same time the weather has really been great so I never
really wanted to be stuck inside infront of a computer. Ok here is what I have been up to since i last posted something...

Last Sunday with the nice weather I met Sarah for a cream tea in town. The Michael Caines Cafe Bar makes a nice one, although that is the only one I have had here in Exeter. After that we went into town for a bit, looking for a nice pair of sandals for Sarah, and I ended up buying a new mobile phone. I had had my eye on the Motorola V3 for a while now, and now I have one. It is really nice and it even came with the data sync software, so I have been playing around with all those things lately as well.

Monday I had a bunch of meetings and then in the evening met Neil for dinner at the Imperial and then we went to see C.R.A.Z.Y. at the Picturehouse. Very funny and at times very sad story about a boy growing up with four brothers and realising that he is gay. A lot of other family issues were included as well, and I didn't even mind the French so much ;)


Tuesday I went to out for dinner with some of the people from the department, at first it was just going to be 5 of us, and then it turned into this huge occasion which I wasn't really prepared for. Most people got drunk fairly quickly and my food was really bad. Never order lasagne in that place by the Quay, order pizza instead!

Wednesday and Thursday were really nice days, so I tried to sit outside in the sun a bit during the day. I had a meeting with Jonathan about about the conference, and he gave me some good tips about speaking and also about networking. Who should I introduce myself too and things like that. But at the same time this conference now sounds very daunting, he said that most people would attend every session, and there will be like 50 or so people there. I really hope I become more convinced that my research is actually good and worth while by then. At the moment I sometimes worry that they will just tear me to shreds and tell me that what I am doing is all complete rubbish. I guess everyone in the beginning of a research career had these doubts, and maybe i am in the wrong department here at the Uni... but we'll see. Maybe it ends up going well as well. With the reviewers it was fairly mixed in what they thought, all said though that the ideas and questions were relevant, so I don't know. I guess I will have to wait until after I come back...

Friday I got quite a bit of work done on the write up of my first study. I was surprised how easy it was coming along too... anyway, in the evening I went to Neil's and since it was nice enough to sit outside for a while we enjoyed the nice weather for as long as we could.

Keine Kommentare: