23 September, 2006

Volver

went to the Picturehouse last night to watch Volver. A really good Spanish film... the Picturehouse newsletter describes it like this:

A brilliant synthesis of love story, melodrama, ghost story and thriller, VOLVER stands as a towering achievement even amongst Almodóvar’s superb canon of work. Calling VOLVER "the deepest return to my roots”, Almodóvar goes back to his birthplace, La Mancha, to tell the story of a group of women, all inspired by women from his own childhood. Three generations of women survive fire, insanity and even death by means of goodness, lies and boundless vitality. They are Raimunda (Cruz), married with a teenage daughter, Sole (Dueñas), her sister, and the mother of both (Maura), who died in a fire but who appears before Sole. Visually sumptuous, the performances are equally strong; Cruz delivers arguably her strongest showing yet.

I am not sure I can see the thriller part, but the rest I totally agree with. It was fantastic and not just because it was in Spanish. But I have to admit I was a little bit disappointed that she didn't cook the dead guy for that film crew...

Keine Kommentare: