06 September, 2006

A Scanner Darkly

that's the title of the film we went to see yesterday. very interesting, and definitely looked cool, but I was slightly confused by it. This is what the Picturehouse programme said about it:

Based on legendary science-fiction author Philip K. Dick's own experiences, A SCANNER DARKLY tells the darkly comedic but deeply tragic tale of drug use in the modern world. America's futile war on drugs has become one and the same with its war on terror. Reluctant undercover cop Bob Arctor (Reeves) follows orders to start spying on his drug-addicted friends, Jim (Downey Jr), Ernie (Harrelson), Donna (Ryder) and Charles (Rory Cochrane). When he is directed to step up the surveillance on himself, he is launched on a paranoid journey into the absurd, where identities and loyalties are impossible to decode. A SCANNER DARKLY plays like a graphic novel come to life, with live-action photography overlaid with an advanced animation process. Faithful to his source material, Linklater has succeeded in creating a haunting version of America, seven years from now.

I did enjoy it, and it was sometimes quite scary, but there were a few things that Neil saw coming that I just didn't. But I don't want to give anything away...

I was just thinking that we have been members with the Picturehouse for about 6 months already. We have seen 17 films, each time saving £ 1.50, and I have used up my 2 free tickets, but I still think I have already got what I paid for the membership back. Being a member there has really paid off, but I also did say to Neil yesterday that I have never seen so many confusing films... oh well... I am rambling...

That's really all that's going on at the moment here... had my meeting with Brian and he said my literature review is too chatty and I have to make it sound more technical. I guess that's what rough drafts are there for. Now he wants me to send it off to Jonathan to see what kind of feedback he has to offer. I'll do it, but I don't really want to hear from anyone else that my writing is not good enough... I know that already!!!

Keine Kommentare: